Fellowship Community Church History
A Labor of Love!
The earliest history began in 1919, when the initial Church of God Sunday School class was held in a private home.
Over the early years the congregation met at various sites. Eventually a permanent building at 31st and “P” streets was constructed in 1948. This location served until a move to a new building in 1981in Southeast Lincoln. The church was called Heritage Heights. In 1993 that congregation merged with Fellowship Community Church.
Fellowship Community Church met the first time in 1974, under an apple tree in Leonard and Vera Gene Hill’s yard. Seventeen people attended, with Leonard, the only credentialed minister at the time, becoming the founding pastor of the congregation. Fellowship Community Church was chosen as the name to represent the fellowship desired with God and the Christian community desired with each other. Pastor Hill served voluntarily while employed as the Director of the Adult Education Program for the State of NE.
The Church rented the facility at the Cotner School of Religion on the campus of the University of Nebraska - Lincoln until 1976 when the property was sold. Then worship was held at Our Place Restaurant, until an abandoned fish store was bought , located at 69th and Havelock. Renovations were made. This building served until 1991 when most of the current building was constructed by people in or related to Fellowship Church, a labor of love.
When Fellowship Church began, everyone took turns fulfilling the various responsibilities needed in the congregation. Those called to preach were Leonard Hill, George Cook, and Lavern Holdeman. Charles Underhill joined the speaking rotation in 1985 until 1988 when he became the Pastor/Leader to the Intercultural Chapel in Scottsbluff, NE.
The congregation accepted the offer of George Cook in 1993 to serve as full-time pastor. Leonard and George shared speaking until 2001, when George became the main speaker. Former Pastor Leonard enjoys working on special project opportunities. He continues to bless us with his vision and special gifts. Wife, Vera Jean Hill has served as the pianist since the beginning years and continues to bless us with her gift of music.
A Labor of Love!